Gas station nacho cheese kills California man, 9 hospitalized

Gas station nacho cheese kills California man, 9 hospitalized

Walnut Grove, CA (PPN) – A rare food borne poison called botulism, has killed one California man and hospitalized  nine others. The outbreak was caused by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum.

The main cause of this is found in processed nacho cheese sauce. Botulism can also occur in infants and be transmitted via wounds. On average, about 3 percent die from the poison after being affected. It starts by paralyzing nerves in the face, mouth, and throat.

Martin Galindo was in the hospital weeks before he died. According to the NPR,  Galindo was in a coma. A GoFundMe page was setup by his family to help with expenses. They have raised $17,000 so far, with a target $80,000.

The tests performed by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) confirmed that the nacho cheese sauce served at a gas station in Sacramento County contained the bacterium.

On May 5, the cheese was removed from the Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station.

It was confirmed yesterday by the CDPH in a release that “there is no continuing risk to the public.” Some of the symptoms are double or blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth, or muscle weakness. Anyone who may have experienced any of these is encouraged to immediately seek medical care.

Reports show that in the U.S. alone, about 200 people were affected by botulism in 2015, but only 39 were caused by the deadly bacterium.

 

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Facebook