Baton Rouge, LA (PPN) – Free sand and bags are available at several BREC parks in East Baton Rouge Parish as Hurricane Harvey continues to get closer and stronger. Hurricane Harvey officially became a Category 3 with 125 mph winds Friday.
The Department of Public Works officials will be at Memorial Stadium this weekend from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. to help residents fill sandbags, if needed.
A maximum of 20 sandbags per vehicle is allowed, according to The Advocate. Residents are advised to bring a shovel to fill the bags. Below are a list of BREC parks with sand and bags available:
- BREC Airline Highway Fairgrounds – 16072 Airline Highway
- Chaneyville Volunteer Fire Department – Station 40 – 22790 Reames Road
- BREC Alsen Park – 601 Old Rafe Meyer Road
- BREC Doyles Bayou Park – 7801 Port Hudson-Pride Road
- BREC Flannery Road Park – 801 South Flannery Road
- BREC Hartley-Vey at Gardere Park – 1702 Gardere Lane
- BREC Memorial Stadium – 1702 Foss Street
- BREC Lovett Road Park – 13443 Lovett Road
- St. George Fire Department Headquarters – 14100 Airline Highway